It’s hard to believe it is already October! I hope your first part of the school year is going well. These unprecedented times have challenged teachers in ways we never thought possible, but I know we have the means and strength to get through these challenges and come out stronger than ever.
Part of surviving these crazy days is having a support network. You have taken an important step in building that network by becoming a Wyoming Association of Career and Technical Education (WACTE) member. Not only does the organization have amazing resources in terms of professional development, it is most importantly a great place to meet new people and gather new ideas. Our membership ranges from teachers with over 30 years of experience to teachers in their second decade of teaching to those who are just starting their career. This wide range of experience lends members the opportunity to get new ideas and share their own with those who face the same struggles in a constantly changing career. In addition, we have our business and industry members who are willing to help in any way they can to increase the skill level and interest in career and technical education. I hope you will strengthen your support network by including these amazing individuals.
WACTE and its divisions have a lot of opportunities. Besides being a dues paying member, there are several different ways to get involved in our organization.
- Summer Conference- Takes place in June each year and includes a keynote speaker, break out sessions, division specific professional development, a steak fry, banquet and multiple networking opportunities. Mark your calendar for June???? and join us in Buffalo.
- Committees- We have five standing committees, you do NOT have to be designated by your division to be a part of a committee. The committees are as follows:
- Professional Development- help plan summer conference and develop other opportunities throughout the year; also in charge of completing the PTSB and graduate credit opportunities for attendance at those events
- Public Policy- help track legislation that affects CTE, develop opportunities for members to interact with policy makers, and develop partnerships with lawmakers to garner support for CTE
- Promotions- promote our organization and CTE; develop activities to maintain and build membership in WACTE
- Awards- determine award winners at the state level, work with the WACTE Executive Secretary to get awards ordered for banquet; elicit nominations for the next WACTE president
- Audit- traditionally consists of the division treasurers; audits the financial records at the end of the fiscal year
- Divisions- Your division is one of the best support networks you have, especially in terms of content being taught. Each division has different committees and activities that you can be involved in. Contact one of your division officers to find out how you can get more involved.
I am excited you have made the decision to become a member and I look forward to getting to know each and every one of you. Please reach out if you have any questions. Our executive board is ready to help out any way we can.
Best wishes for an amazing year!